In January 2015, Bekele established the ‘Sophia Bekele Scholarship Fund‘ which provides scholarships and bursaries to students. To commemorate the Diamond Jubilee – 60th Anniversary celebration of the Nazareth School in Addis Ababa. The fund is to provide for scholarship awards and grants for the benefit of Nazareth School and its students. The fund was allocated to fund merit-based scholarship awards to support and encourage students that excel in preparatory subjects who wish to pursue academic degrees and careers in the Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) fields. Funds were availed as a grant to cover the cost of a full-service, interactive Internet Web Site for Nazareth School that was donated by Ms. Sophia Bekele. In the coming years, the Sophia Bekele Scholarship Fund will continue to provide merit-based scholarship awards and need-based bursaries for different beneficiaries.
“…You need to educate yourself with the tools of the future – ICT and internet to contribute to this fast, evolving and competitive, global landscape. Getting educated in ICT is no longer nerdy, it is trendy.” Remarks by Sophia Bekele, Founder and Executive Director at DotConnectAfrica for the ITU’s Girl’s ICT day 24 April 2014.
The Sophia Bekele Scholarship FundPurpose: The Sophia Bekele Scholarship Fund is offering an Academic Scholarship to a deserving girl who wants to achieve the dreams to be a thought leader in Africa and globally. The Fund grants scholarships to best female students or institutions with a high interest in pursuing studies in mathematics and science fields.
Objectives of the Scholarship FundThe primary objective of the Fund is to promote interest and excellence in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) courses among female students in Ethiopia. Financial assistance: The fund is based on financial need, academic performance, and leadership potential. Scholarship is awarded and/ or renewed annually, on academic merit and based on a rigorous selection process Areas that are reviewed by the committee include, but are not limited to the following: Academic Accomplishments, Community Service, References, Personal Essay and Financial Need. Sophia Bekele Scholarship Fund pays scholarship funds directly to the recipient’s school. The Sophia Bekele Scholarship Funds are awarded without regard to race, color, ethnicity. Scholarships awarded are based upon the availability of funds and additional qualifying criteria.
- Applicants must be completing or have completed Primary school successfully with a minimum of top grade.
- Applicants must be accepted as a full time student at a high school for the upcoming academic year. The school curriculum should commence at the beginning of each academic year with an interest in any of the following fields: Mathematics and Science. If scholarship money is awarded, this is the only program that will receive the funds on behalf of the applicant.
- Applicants must demonstrate a need for financial assistance.
- Applicants must be a citizen or legal permanent resident of an Ethiopia.
- Applicants must complete and submit a scholarship application by December 10, every year.
- Scholarship recipients will receive their cheque for the next semester/term only after their grades from the previous year have been received.
Scholarship Cover:Successful candidates (Individual Students or Institutions) are granted full scholarship which covers all high school direct cost (tuition fees etc.) and student direct costs (books and stationery) as specified in the respective institutions costs structure.
How to Apply
Individual ApplicantsCandidates are required to complete Sophia Bekele Scholarship Fund Applicant Form which can also be accessed on the sophiabekele.com/scholarship fund website
Institutional applicantsInstitutions are awarded based on a meritorious application criteria.
- Both new and renewal applications are due August 10.
- Candidates that are eligible for interviews will be notified by the Scholarship Committee by November 05.
- Applicants are notified if awarded a scholarship by January 15 the following academic year.
New scholarship applicants must provide:
- Completed application form.
- Official primary school transcript in a sealed envelope from the institution.
- Two academic references from a guidance counselor or teacher.
- A Proof of acceptance at a High School
- Demonstrated financial need.
- Award notification will be given by January 15, in a particular year.
- Applicant must provide their student ID, the correct mailing address of their institution and the department where their scholarship check is to be received.
- Award amounts will be distributed each year after a student’s final grades are received by Sophia Bekele Scholarship Fund Committee.